– Artistic representations of experiential, non-verbal aspects of trauma, emotional distress, and so-called mental illness
– Musique concréte, acousmatic sound, and electroacoustic composition
– Affect, drama, perceptual disorientation, and meditative experience through intense encounters with sound
– Creative research and thinking through sound as metaphor
RECENT ACTIVITIES & NOW
– Audio paper published in online journal, Disclaimer, discussing the creation of the album ‘Love Songs’ as a first-person “madness” narrative.
– Commissioned by Liquid Architecture for ‘Unheard Relations’ in March, a satelite event for the ‘Site and Sound: Sound Art as Ecological Practice’ at McClleland Sculpture park.
– Journal article titled ‘The Acousmatic Gap as a Flexile Path to Self-Understanding: A case for experiential listening’ published in Organised Sound.
– Recipient of the Regional Arts Victoria Fellowship. This project involves investigating career sustainability and innovation in regional arts, the presentation of sound works exploring trauma and so-called mental illness in Clunes, and the development of an ongoing program partnership with Australia’s leading sound art organisation, Liquid Architecture. The Australian Government’s Regional Arts Fund is provided through Regional ArtsAustralia, administered in Victoria by Regional Arts Victoria.
– Research and development for a new installation/performance work titled ‘This Moving, Inflexible’. This project is supported by the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria.
– Mentoring as part of SIGNAL’s Screen x Sound Commissions.
– Finalist in the 2019 Art Music Awards for Excellence in Experimental Music for Held Down, Expanding.
– Artist in residence at MESS Ltd (Melbourne Electronic Sound Studio) . The MESS artist in residence program is supported by City of Melbourne, with Thembi’s participation supported by the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria.
– Awarded a PhD at RMIT University, project titled “A Dense Mass of Indecipherable Fear: The Experiential (Non)Narration of Trauma and Madness through Acousmatic Sound.” The dissertation can be downloaded here.
– Presentation at Chamber Made’s Hi-Viz Practice Exchange, discussing the ‘Orange House By the Sea’ artist residency undertaken in collaboration with S.J Norman, in May 2019.